This is a good school.
- The headteacher has brought about significant improvement since the last inspection by rightly focusing on improving pupils’ progress and the quality of teaching.
- The arrangements for managing teachers’ performance have led to some improvements in teaching. Senior staff and subject leaders rigorously check the quality of work in pupils’ books to ensure that they are making sufficient progress.
- Pupils of all ages and abilities make good progress and achieve well, particularly in Key Stage 2. Most pupils make at least expected progress in writing. Achievement is consistently good in mathematics.
- The teaching of phonics (letters and the sounds they make) is done well, and this is bringing about improvements in reading as pupils move through the school. n
- Pupils’ behaviour is good and their conduct in and around the school is sometimes exemplary.
- Pupils have a good understanding of how to keep safe.
- Teaching over time is good, as shown in the standard of work in pupils’ books. The quality of teaching is particularly effective in Key Stage 2.
- Staff with additional responsibilities for the management of information about pupil progress, and those leading mathematics and English, have a strong grasp of their role and work very effectively together.
- Provision in the early years is well-led and helps children develop an early interest in learning.
- Pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is outstanding and pupils become caring and thoughtful young citizens. The school promotes values of liberty, tolerance and respect effectively through its well-planned and imaginative curriculum.
- Governors support and challenge the school effectively and are ambitious for its continuing improvement. They have ensured that procedures for safeguarding pupils are outstanding.
Please click here to view our Saint Modwen's Perfomance table on the DFE website